Wednesday, April 22, 2009

We Are What We Love

Where do kids get their quirks and mannerisms?  Some of it is obviously written into their DNA which accounts for the fact that vastly different kids can come from the same parents.  The rest...I have to believe is learned behavior.  You've heard it before, "He/She is a chip off the old block!"  In my neck of the woods I usually hear that phrase when my kids have mirrored one of my negative characteristics.

Can that phrase be turned around and used positively?  Let me put it like Colton, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."  Colton is saying essentially, we act like the person we want to be.  Go to any little league field or hang out in a middle school hallway.  Kids act like their favorite sports figures and celebrities, all to often imitating their stupidity.  We become what we idolize! Come to think of it, isn't idolatry a form of worship?

What about our relationship with Christ?  While loving Christ cannot be categorized as idolatry, can imitating Christ be considered worship?  I think yes and I think it goes beyond consideration.  Let me rephrase Colton, Imitating Christ is the highest form of worship!  We are what we love!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daddy. I think you have a warped perspective of yourself.

    We have learned some of our most basic and wonderful parts of our personalities from you!
    For example.
    Eli is so much like you! He is so compassionate and loving. He loves people so easily! He gives of himself as much as he can. He is social and makes friends without any inhibitions. You call him your tender warrior. Where do you think he learned all that?
    Claire has a lot of those same traits too. She loves people without questions. She has one of the most compassionate hearts I know. She is a people pleaser, which sometimes lands her in hard places, but if she learns to harness that quality, she can use that in leadership, peacemaking, communicating, any number of wonderful things... She got it from you.
    Even though I am a lot like mommy, I definitely got my stubborness from you. Take that as you will, but I see it as a positive. I know where I stand. I know what I believe. I know how I deserve to be treated and respected. I got that from you. I also got your disdain for stupidity, your appreciation for well thought out argument and convictions. I got from you my pride in myself and my accomplishments. I learned how to articulate by watching you and mommy.

    Eli is growing up. He is learning how to be a Man, a friend, a brother, and a future husband and father. I can't wait for Eli to grow up to be those last two, because I see who he takes after.
    Claire and I have learned what we deserve in a boyfriend and husband. We know how we deserve to be treated and how we should respect and love our husbands. We know that we are treasured and adored as daughters. We know that we are valuable and beautiful and intelligent. Who else could have taught us those things?

    You think we have learned only your negative traits. You are way too hard on yourself and clearly missing what you have naturally offered us all these years. I am so proud to be your daughter and so proud to bear qualities like yours.

    So yes, We are chips off the old block. ☺

    ReplyDelete