Sunday, April 5, 2009

Resurrection Hope

I find myself drifting between two dyametrically opposed positions - a pendulum between despair and elation.  Don't get me wrong...it's not the degree of despair displayed in New York and Pittsburgh this past week.  My faith does not rest in the gov't to bail me out, nor do I hold conspiriatorial perspectives that would drive me to tha kind of paranoia.  We do live in uneasy times though.  Times in which I see my personal freedoms threatened and my children's futures burdened with tremendous national debt; at least that seems to be the way things are playing out.  If my life and the life of my children were not tethered to the Anchor of my soul - I certainly would be capable of unthinkable stupidity.

I am more grateful today, given the circumstances all around me, of Christ's sacrifice than I have been in past years. Don't get me wrong...I am throughly amazed and awed that the sinless Christ would die for a sinful people.  It does seem that difficulty and struggle and doubt force me to ponder that reality in a much different light than normal.  I have real hope; hope that is made more certain because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  In fact, Peter says that my hope is "living hope" which indicates to me that it is a hope that produces real life change that is so much more than wishful thinking.  This is where the elation comes in - this hope has nothing to do with me, my performance, lack of performance, white privilege (which I believe is a myth), economic status or lack thereof, popularity, or any number of "isms" that I might be tempted to pad my life with.  My faith is not Christ + anything.  

I must be honest though...I am tempted all the time to attach hoops or conditions to my confidence in the work of Christ.  Day to day, I struggle for approval and a better seat at the banquet table by adding daily Scripture reading, church attendance, faithful adherence to doctrine, good works, being a devoted husband and doting father, and a host of other good things to my faith in Jesus Christ.  Yet, I know that road has been traveled and has left its sojourners unfulfilled.  The rich young ruler tried and failed, Martin Luther tried and failed, the Judaizers tried and failed...(they're still trying and still failing in a number of religious twists on the Judaizer's heresy even today.)

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.


On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
-Edward Mote

I pray you find the same confidence this Holy Week and may it stay with you from now until eternity.  More than that, may it radically transform how you approach the next difficulty.

Corem Deo!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I know I'm reading this LONG after it was written, but I just read this. At the end of your post, you wrote that "Martin Luther tried and failed." And my question is, really? Martin Luther was the one who broke away from the idea of faith through works, correct? My church history is a bit fuzzy, so I'm wondering what you are referring to...?

    ReplyDelete